Thursday, October 7, 2010

Baking a Cake with Shakespear and Stevens

     Never in a million years would I have looked at writing as baking a cake.  Goldberg is absolutely right when she explains how similar they are.  Especially when she says, "This is not just any father;  this is your father.  The character who smoked cigars and put too much ketchup on his steak.  the on you loved and hated (p. 50).  Goldberg is also correct when she says you can't just write down a list of things that happened at dinner time, you really have add the heat and your own detail to truly make the story come alive.  I always enjoy reading Writing Down the Bones I can always relate to it at some point.
     I'm not a big fan of poetry, it was kind of torture to sit down and sift through the poetry packet.  I don't even think I made it through the whole thing to be honest with you.  However I did enjoy recreating one of Shakespeare's sonnets along with Wallace Stevens' Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird, that was pretty fun.  The sonnet was probably the hardest, because I kept looking back and fourth between Dim Lady by Harryette Mullen and Sonnet 130.  I tried to be just as witty as Harryette but it just wasn't working out.  I was finally able to get through writing my own version of one of his sonnets, but it definitely took longer than expected.  Thirteen Ways, was definitely a little easier to get through.  I really enjoyed both of these assignments.

Jfisch10
   

No comments:

Post a Comment