I was finally able to sit down and read Writing Down the Bones by N. Goldberg. "It is true that the inside world creates the outside world, but the outside world and our tools also affect the way we form our thoughts" (Goldberg, 7). This sentence was really the first thing to kinda pop out at me. As I kept reading that line over and over again, I realized that it really is true, who knows what we would be thinking if we didn't have an outside world to live in. If we were stuck in a room, that was completely blank, the walls were all white along with the floor and ceiling, what would we be thinking? What thoughts would we be writing down on paper? I would most likely be writing about how bored I am and how much I hate white walls along with how trapped I feel. Those would probably be the only thoughts running through my mind. We really do need an outside world with activity, noise, and sound to use as a blank canvas for our writing. As I continued to read through First Thoughts, I have done the exercise she was explaining many times, where we have to sit down and write for a certain amount of time just whatever comes to mind, but we were never given a list of rules follow like Goldberg gives here. I haven't tried it yet on my own time, but I am kinda anxious to just sit down and time myself following these rules, just to see what comes of it. I think the results will definitely be different than anything else I have ever done. Maybe not, but I just have a feeling that something new and interesting will come of it.
Jfisch10
No comments:
Post a Comment